So you’ve decided you’d like to spend some time in the great outdoors – get away from the hustle and bustle of your day-to-day life and, dare we say it…Disconnect from your mobile phone, tablet and the Internet all together? (Gasp!)
Before you become one with Mother Nature, use these tips to ensure your outdoor adventure is safe and you’re prepared for anything that might come your way!
1. Decide where you want to camp (duh).
- What part of the country do you want to be in?
- Do you want to be on property that has amenities such as toilets and running water, or are you really trying to rough it and go a la natural? Do you want to do activities such as fishing? Hunting?
- Make sure to chat with the landowner to ensure your expectations are met and there aren’t any “surprises” upon your arrival!
2. Pack all of your gear in big tubs (you’ll thank us later). By packing everything in 1-2 large tubs, you won’t be rummaging through countless bags and bins looking for equipment you need. (Read: Avoid asking “Where’s the damn tent?!”)
3. Ok, but what do you put in those bins? Here’s a solid checklist:
- sleeping bags
- sleeping pads
- first aid kit
- extra batteries
- whisk broom
- wet wipes/paper towels
- bug repellent
- trash bags
- plates & utensils
- cooking supplies
- camp or lawn chairs
- firewood (chat with the land owner to see if he/she will supply this)
What tips do you have for people who are planning a camping trip?